The Hilly Urban Ruck Race of Tennessee (HURT) was held on Saturday, April 6, 2019 and was a benefit for the Chattanooga Area Food Bank, helping to fight hunger in our area.
The event includes a challenging 14 mile course combining pavement and trail around north Chattanooga. It will start/finish at Renaissance Park and is going to be a test of strength-endurance and mental fortitude.
All Active Military, ROTC, Veterans, and First Responders receive 50% off (must show ID at check-in).
The course will be open (no road closures) and there will be volunteers every 1-2 miles to makes sure you stay on course. All racers will also receive a detailed turn-by-turn course description at check-in. It’s encouraged that everyone take a photo of this so it’s handy on your smartphone to periodically look at.
This event will be unique due to it’s staggered start times. The older you are the earlier you will start giving you a head start among the competition. Regardless if you start first or last, you will have to combine rucking with some running if you want to have chance to win. You will either be chased or be chasing. Active Military ROTC, and First Responders will be last to go and will need to work hard to catch the earlier start waves if they want a chance to win. Should make some exciting ruck racing.
Here are the categories and start times:
Age Group Start Time
40+ Female 7:45am
15-39 Female 7:50am
45+ Male 8:00am
15-44 Male 8:05am
ROTC 8:05am First Responders 8:05am (regardless of age/gender)
Active Duty Military 8:05am (regardless of age/gender)
We are partnering with the Chattanooga Area Food Bank to help fight hunger in our area. It is highly recommended that you bring non-perishable food items as they will be donated after the event. You can pack your rucksack/backpack full of food items, or simply bring them to the venue to donate. Here are some food items that the Chattanooga Area Food Bank are always in need of: canned fruit/vegetables, cornmeal, flour, grits, pasta, rice, canned meats, dry beans, fruit/vegetable juice, oats, peanut butter, and soups.
1. The race will begin and finish at Renaissance Park, 100 Manufacturers Rd, Chattanooga, TN 37405
2. Day of race Check-in/packet pick-up will be from 6:45am - 7:15am under the outdoor pavilion next to the hill
3. A brief meeting will be held from 7:15am - 7:30am to go over some specifics and answer any last minute questions.
4. NO EVENT DAY REGISTRATION!!!
5. Good sportsmanship is required at all times
6. The Hilly Urban Ruck Race of Tennessee (HURT) will be comprised of civilians, any member of Armed Forces currently serving, Veterans, ROTC students, and First Responders
7. All participants are required to carry 25lbs of dry weight in their rucksack/backpack at all times (this does NOT include the food and water that will be consumed during the race
8. Packs will be weighed at the start and finish. Finish dry weight must match starting dry weight (25lbs)
9. There will NOT be any Aid Stations along the course, participants must carry their own food/water/etc. with them at all times
10. No other means of transportation are allowed, just rucking/walking or running with your pack
11. No outside assistance is allowed, if anyone is caught receiving assistance they will be disqualified from the race. (This includes being handed a bottle of water, or energy bar, etc. by a friend)
12. No Refunds
13. This will be an open course event so there will be no road closures. All participants are required to obey all traffic rules and use caution when crossing roads, there will be volunteers at most road crossings. Volunteers will also be placed along the course every 1-2 miles to eliminate any course cutting and to keep track of progress during the event
14. All participants will be given detailed turn-by-turn directions of the course route along with a detailed map
15. The first person, male or female, to cross the finish line (pending the weight in his/her rucksack/backpacked meets the requirement) will be declared the overall winner